Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Stiff by Mary Roach Chunk # 3

Throughout this great intense book by Mary Roach,she had grossed me out and also made me laugh at the same time.This book is about the lives of cadavers in other words dead bodies, and how they are used for experiments performed by scientist or researchers.Throughout this book I have read about bodies being treated differently than a human being, how cadavers are not good for anything but they take pain very well, and how the fact that even though there is a body there,that person spirit is gone.The way Roach sees is "The way I see it, being dead is not terribly far off from being on a cruise ship. Most of your time is spent lying on your back. The brain has shut down. The flesh begins to soften. Nothing much new happens, and nothing is expected of you." Which I kind of agree with her being a dead person is not a bad thing,but neither is it great when you become a product or experiment. Roach doesn't exactly agree with people being called a CADAVER"
My mom was never a cadaver; no person ever is. You are a person and then you cease to be a person, and a cadaver takes your place. My mother was gone. The cadaver was her hull." I totally agree with Mary Roach a person is not a cadaver their body is taken over as that name but their spirit will never be forgotten or lost.This has been one of the most weirdest books I have ever read.But I'm glad I did read it,its interesting and overwhelming at times.But thumbs up to Mary Roach she wrote an excellent intense book!!







-Application Question:Do you feel like Cadavers is the correct name for a dead person to be called??
-Clarification Question:Not saying that being a cadaver is a bad thing,But,would you ever(if you had a chose)to become one after death??

2 comments:

  1. The word "cadaver" is appropriate for a dead person because it removes the personal feelings and the history associated with it and makes the dead body more like an object;Mary Roach just wanted to show how a body is just a vessel but your mind and the memory you leave behind are your legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that it is an appropriate word because it dehumanizes the dead body and makes people easier to give up their bodies or siblings bodies to research, it sound more professional.

    ReplyDelete